Friday, September 2, 2011

Rubber Chicken






I first heard about rubber chickens from Leanne at Flylady.





No, they're not really rubber...but it seems like it because you can "stretch" at least three meals from one chicken.

I don't know about all of you, but for me, with school in full swing and other activities starting up, and the skyrocketing cost of food, well...rubber chicken here I come!

First thing is to start with a whole chicken, I like to find a fairly good sized one.  Wash and pat it dry and remove the giblets and rub all over with this dry rub seasoning mix.   Then cut up into little squares 1-2 tablespoons of butter and stuff under the skin.  Place the chicken in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  You don't need to add anything else.  And there you have it, dinner number one.

Now in the past, when I've roasted whole chickens I've always had grand plans for making stock from the bones.  I slide that carcass into a plastic bag and pop it into the fridge with great intentions only to find it still sitting there many days later with no option left but to toss it out.  What a waste!!

But now I take the chicken out of the crock pot, leaving all the juices behind and I cut off all the meat and put the bones back into the pot and I add onions, celery, and carrots and I cook it on low until the next morning.  In the morning I pull the crock out of the element and let it cool then I strain it into my dutch oven, cover it, and refrigerate it.  The next day I can peel off the layer of fat and then I can make soup or I can freeze that delicious and super nutritious  bone broth for use in future recipes.  And there you have use number two.

Now you will have enough chicken left over for at least another dinner and maybe even some chicken sandwiches for lunch.

Here are some dinner ideas to get you started...
Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Quick and Easy Barbecue Chicken
Chicken Cobb Salad

And the list is literally endless...just let your imagination run with it.

Maybe you can try the "rubber" chicken for your family next week.

This post is linked to the Real Food Wednesdays blog carnival.






No comments:

Post a Comment