Monday, April 4, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs

It's Monday!

The icky thing about today is that we have to go and get a Tdap shot for my daughter. It's a new requirement in the state of California before entry into school next fall. I thought it would be a good idea to get it out of the way, before the rush.

The good thing about today is that my son, Jason, is coming over to dinner. That makes me happy. And I'm going to make spaghetti and meatballs. That makes me happy too!

Here's my spaghetti recipe, if you'd like it...

Spaghetti and Meatballs

meatballs:
2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 slices of sourdough bread, broken into tiny pieces
1/2 onion, grated
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of parmesean cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Using a small ice cream scooper, roll balls and place on cookie sheet. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a dutch oven size pan. Cook meatballs until brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside. Save drippings in the pan and proceed to make the sauce using the drippings as your base.

sauce:

3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 15 oz cans tomato sauce
2 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
dried red pepper flakes, to taste

Cook the garlic in the reserved meat drippings. Add more olive oil if more is needed. When garlic sizzles, but before it browns add the tomato sauce, basil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Add meatballs and any juice on the platter. Simmer for 30 minutes.

You can use regular or whole wheat pasta for this dish. I find that it makes enough for two nights and a to go lunch for my husband. Or you can use the leftovers and make meatball soup.


Spaghetti tip:
When draining the spaghetti noodles reserve the cooking water. If spaghetti starts to stick just pour some of the cooking water over it. When storing leftover noodles use a container and cover with the leftover cooking water as well.

I also like to make garlic bread with this and tonight I think I will have my daughter make us a Ceaser Salad.

So try this for your Monday dinner, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment