Thursday, March 3, 2011

Easy Meatball Soup

Leftovers, you either love them or hate them, but if you're trying to save money you really should learn to work with them.

Some leftovers are delish in their original form...and may even taste better as the flavors have had time to blossom. Others need to be revamped.

And that's where I come in...a leftovers thread!!

I won't give you every idea all at once, but as I think of things I'll post them here.

So here goes...

Today's lunch was from leftovers.

I made spaghetti and meatballs a couple of weeks ago. And that is a good leftover in it's original for. Spaghetti just seems to get better and better each time you heat it up. But after a few rounds I had run out of spaghetti noodles and was left with just a few meatballs and some sauce. Not even enough for meatball sandwiches, which I love!

So I put it in a small container and labeled it "for meatball soup" and stuck it in the freezer. And today, since there was only three of us for lunch and we were suffering from sandwich fatigue I remembered that container.

I took it out of the freezer this morning and left it on the kitchen counter. At lunch time I poured it in a saucepan and added a fair amount of chicken broth. I always have boxes (better than canned, I think) in the pantry. I brought it to a boil and I added a handful of egg noodles. I cooked it until the noodles were done, about 10 minutes. And viola, in no time at all we had home made meatball soup for lunch. And it wasn't from a can, it was real food! I put out some sour dough bread slices and some butter and we were set.

No comments:

Post a Comment