Monday, March 7, 2011

Carnitas

Last nights dinner was awesome and I have to share it with you.

Kristina made home made flour tortillas. And I made my version of carnitas in the crockpot. This dinner was so super simple, so super easy, and so super good!

Making the tortillas are a bit time consuming so I would not suggest this meal for a harried night. Plus you're going to want time to sit down and enjoy this delicious dinner.

Want the recipes?

Crockpot Carnitas


Pork Shoulder Roast ~ A size that fits in your crockpot. You can usually get one of these for a good deal.

Seasoning mix~ I make this up myself and keep in a plastic container.

Chipotle Peppers ~ These come in a can, what I do is after I first open them I spoon by tablespoons into an ice cube tray, cover,and freeze. After frozen pop them out into a zip lock bag and store in the freezer. I used 1 cube for this recipe.

1/2 Onion, sliced

3 cloves of garlic, chopped or not ~ More or less as the mood hits you.

1/2 cup of orange juice

Olive oil

Heat skillet ( I use an iron one) with a bit of olive oil until hot. Season the roast with the seasoning mix and sear on all sides in the hot pan. Place roast in crock pot. Add onions and garlic to pan and cook for a few minutes add orange juice and bring to boil. Using a spatula scrape up all the tasty bits at the bottom of the pan. Pour all into the crock pot. Add the chipotle cube. Set the crock pot to low and cook for 8-10 hours. Or on high for 6-8 hours.

Flour Tortillas

3 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

4-6 tablespoons lard

1/4 cups warm water

Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together with a fork. Add lard and mix with fork or fingers until mixture is crumbly. Add water and mix until the dough pulls together. Turn out on a floured cutting board and knead a bit. Divide dough into 12 even balls. Roll each ball out and immediately cook on a griddle.

Add some avocado slices or guacamole, depending on your mood. Also fresh cilantro, limes and your favorite salsa.

Can you say delish?

No comments:

Post a Comment