Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Camping Food

It's Wednesday and I'm only on the first post of the week. Oh well...

Last time we met I mentioned our camping trip and we had a blast, I must say.

Since this is a "foodie" blog I'll tell you about our camping food.

My goal for the weekend was as much real food as possible in as little space as possible. And as tasty as possible.

I think I achieved it!

Let's see, tent camping for two nights, for 4 people, everything packed into a 4 door/Matrix hatchback ...I think you can understand why the food needed as little space as possible...

I knew we would be having 2 dinners, 2 lunches, and 2 breakfasts.

As it happens about a week before our trip I had made a huge amount of Carne Asada of which we only ate about half. So thinking ahead I devided the other half into two portions, packaged it into 2 freeer bags and popped it into the freezer.

These would be the bases for our two dinners. Carne Asada Quesadillas the first night and Fried Rice the second.

For breakfast the first morning I took already baked potatoes,eggs, and bacon to make a bacon, potato, and egg scramble. I threw in the bit of salsa we had had leftover to go with the scramble.

For our second breakfast I was going to do another scramble, but decided on bacon and eggs and bread instead.

On the way to the campsite we stopped at Dudley's Bakery for a couple of loaves of bread which are delicious and didn't even need toasting. Just a little butter.

The bread also came in handy as a snack both afternoons and made for the perfect quick lunch on our last day, spread with all natural peanut butter before we left.

For our first lunch we treated ourselves to a lunch out while we were visiting Julian for the day.

For snacks it really was as simple as the bread, peanuts from the shell, and banana chips.

Luckily I had no troubles with fitting everything and keeping it cold.

Throughout the week I had frozen half-filled quart size freezer bags which I stuck around the food before I added the ice to the cooler. I also packed the meat and the bacon while it was still frozen.

I didn't pack any sweet treats, but we did treat ourselves to some sweets while we were in Julian. And we brought some back to the camp site.

And there you have it. My camping weekend menus of real food packed to go in little space.

(tomorrow I'll share recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment