Monday, May 9, 2011

Ham Bone Soup... At Last

It's the Monday after Mother's Day and I had such an awesome time yesterday. They spoiled me rotten from beginning to end.

I hope they spoiled you too!!

Today's weather is so much different from this time last week. That's what spring is like here in San Diego. You never know quite what to expect. And where as last week summer was teasing us, this week winter seems to be back.

Which makes it the perfect night for ham bone soup.




Remember when I put that meaty bone in the freezer last week?

Well it's coming out tonight.

Actually last night I stuck it in the fridge so I would have it ready to go into the crock pot first thing this morning for the soup.

This recipe comes from Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery.



Congressional Bean Soup
6-8 servings

8 cups water
1 pound dried small white beans
1 meaty ham bone
1 cup finely chopped celery (I also use the leaves)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf

Soak the beans, in water, overnight. Drain the beans and add to the crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 12-14 hours or until beans are very soft. Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Cut the meat off the bone and return the meat to the crock pot. Discard bone and bay leaf. Serve soup hot.

This is a delicious, stick to your ribs, warm you up soup.

I'm also making corn muffins to serve with it. I plan to use the jiffy brand corn muffin mix. I like this brand because it doesn't have trans fats or names of ingredients that I cannot pronounce.




I'm going to make the muffins into mini muffins. I like to make mini muffins because I like the ratio of crust to bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment