Friday, May 13, 2011

No More Wasted Food!!

I hate going through the fridge and finding spoiled food. I can't stand the thought of throwing it away. And with the high price of food these days it makes it doubly hard.

So, I have decided to stop the madness. No more wasted food!

I'm going to make it a point to check through the refrigerator every couple of days to find what foods seem to be starting the aging process. And I'm going to plan menus around those foods.

And for pete's sake no more wasted celery!

How many times have I been hunting around the refrigerator only to find, buried under the lettuce, apples and oranges, that sad looking bag of wilted celery.

What a waste!!

And to think celery is an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber. It also is a good source of folic acid, potassium, and vitamin B1 and B6 and calcium.

Who knew?

And considering that the hubs likes celery, takes his lunch almost every day and is trying to eat more fruits and vegetables in the hopes of avoiding cholesterol lowering medicenes...well what a waste all of those poor, pathetic looking bags of celery were as they made their way to the compost pile.

But no more.

From now on when I bring celery home I will wash it, dry it, and cut it into serving size pieces and keep it in a zip lock bag with a folded paper towel.

And most of all...I will remember to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment