Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ham Loaf

Today's ham creation is a retro dish. I remember too many years ago as a young girl and my Aunt would buy a premixed ham loaf from the butcher. And so years later, with a family of my own and leftover ham, I was looking to recreate that meal.

Ham Loaf
I'm not even sure where I originally got this recipe. It is delicious, but I only get to use it when there is enough ham leftover and we only seem to have ham twice on year. On Easter and Christmas. By the way, the addition of the pineapple rings is my idea...after reading about canned Easter hams with pineapple on top at One Perfect Bite, I just couldn't resist.
1 pound ground baked ham (I grind my leftover ham in the food processor)
1 pound ground fresh pork
1 tablespoon of your favorite mustard (I use Dijon)
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 cup bread crumbs (I make my own using the bits of leftovers I have from various loaves)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ham, pork, mustard, eggs, and milk. Mix gently with your hands and then add the breadcrumbs, parsley, and pepper. Mix some more until it all comes together. Don't over mix.
Glaze
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, mustard, water, and vinegar. Heat over low heat until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Baking
Shape the ham mixture into a loaf and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 2 hours. After the first hour baste every 15 minutes with the glaze. At the last 15 minutes place pineapple slices on top of the loaf and brush with more glaze.

Try this the next time you have extra time and leftover ham. I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment